The History of Princes Street Suites
Scotland is renowned for its amazing architecture and Princes Street Suites is no exception.
The building in which the Suites are situated is the best example of the Greek Revival work of Archibald Eliot, one of Edinburgh’s leading architects in the early 19th century. The building adjoins the single open arch of Regent Bridge to the West and the grandeur of the design contributes significantly to character of the area.The building was built as the general post office, until the premises became too small and a larger one was erected at the corner of the North Bridge, now called Waverley gate. This building was then used as a hotel and government offices and it was gutted by fire in the 1950s. It is now converted into luxury flats.
A plan to form an access to Calton Hill from the east end of Princes Street had been suggested as early as 1790 (probably by John Paterson, Robert Adam’s clerk of works). Finally, in 1813 and 1814, Acts were introduced which allowed for the construction of the new bridge and road over the Low Calton ravine and permitted the acquisition of the necessary properties and the intersection of the Calton Burying Ground. Archibald Eliot's design for the bridge and the accompanying houses and offices was approved in 1815, although it was modified to include Robert Stevenson’s ideas that the bridge should be open ‘for the sake of the views’.
The contract for the bridge was signed in the summer of 1816, and construction began. Feuing of the building plots began in July 1817, and later in the year a Mr Peter Lorimer bought all the lots. This ensured the consistent and faithful execution of Eliot's scheme. Archibald Eliot (1760-1823) was one of the leading architects in early 19th century Scotland. His works included public buildings and private commissions throughout the country. He designed in both the Classical and Gothic styles.